The NSW Department of Education is committed to creating quality learning opportunities for children and young people. This includes strengthening their physical, social, emotional and spiritual development. (Wellbeing Framework, April 2015 http://education.nsw.gov.au/student-wellbeing/whole-school-approach/wellbeing-framework-for-schools)
ACC NSW considers SRE (Scripture) an exceptional privilege. It is a great way to be involved in our local community as we assist children and young people to engage with the faith of their family and contribute to their holistic development as a person. Working in our Public Schools (Primary and Secondary) is a unique space and it is important that all ACC people comply with the responsibilities and privileges ACC NSW has as an Approved Provider of SRE.
All SRE teachers who attend an ACC church must be Authorised by ACC NSW. To be authorised SRE Teachers must complete an application form (see below) and:
- Have a current WWCC (Working With Children Check), which will be verified by ACCNSW – https://www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au/child-safe-organisations/working-with-children-check
- Complete Safer Churches (Child Protection) training, update this every three years.
- Complete “Essentials SRE Teacher Training” before application is made.
- Participate in no less than two hours of ongoing training during the year.
- Participate in NSWACC mentoring program which includes a Personal Reflection twice yearly and having a lesson observed as required.
- Complete an ACC SRE refresher course every three years. This will cover: Department of Education Policy and Implementation Procedures, Classroom Management Strategies, Implementation of the Curriculums in a sensitive and age appropriate manner, and Duty of Care including Child Protection.
- Use an ACC NSW approved SRE curriculum as outlined below.
- In combined arrangements (ie teaching combined Christian SRE), provide the school with a list of the names and contact details of local representatives and teachers BEFORE commencement of SRE each year using the authorisation letter (see below).
- Provide schools with their Date of Birth. Schools will check each SRE teacher against the Department’s NTBE (not to be employed) database.
- When in school grounds, wear the name badge provided by ACC NSW SRE.
- Provide photo identification as requested by the school.
- Under 18 year old people who assist in SRE must complete an Under 18 Years authorisation form. They must be supervised by an authorised SRE teacher at all times.
For more information in regards to Department of Education Policy and Procedures, Training and Curriculum, follow the links below:
Religious Education Procedures
Department of Education code of conduct (SRE teachers should be aware of its content and abide by it)
Bullying/Preventing and Responding
Department of Education & Training (audiovisual materials)
Department of Education Social Media Policy
SRE Teacher Training
ACC runs Essentials SRE Teacher Training via zoom. For zoom sessions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
To commence training you will need a reference from your pastor. (Found at the bottom of this page.)
Before commencing any other training please confirm the training is approved by ACC. Please note, ACC does not accept any online SRE teacher training.
NSW ACC approves the following curriculums for use in SRE classes. Follow the links below to the scope and sequence charts. These curriculums are reviewed every five years. (Years ending with 0 and 5.)
For further information contact: email@example.com